Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Celebrate vs Dread

Because I want to remember what I learned about these two words this week.
And what I want to be true of the rest of 2013!


cel·e·brate  

/ˈseləˌbrāt/
Verb
  1. Mark (a significant or happy day or event), typically with a social gathering: "his parents threw a party to celebrate his graduation".
  2. Do something enjoyable to mark such an occasion: "she celebrated with a glass of champagne".
Synonyms
glorify - praise - solemnize - extol - exalt


dread  

/dred/
Verb
Anticipate with great apprehension or fear: "Jane was dreading the party".
Noun
Great fear or apprehension: "the thought of returning to New Jersey filled her with dread"; "I used to have a dread of Sunday afternoons".
Adjective
Greatly feared; dreadful: "he was stricken with the dread disease and died".
Synonyms
verb.  fear - be afraid - funk - apprehend
noun.  fear - fright - horror - terror - funk - scare
adjective.  dreadful - terrible - frightful - horrible - horrid

dread - Archaic
One dictionary added an additional aspect to dread- an Archaic use of the word.
Archaic To hold in awe or reverence.
An object of fear, awe, or reverence.
Archaic Awe; reverence.

adj. Inspiring awe: the dread presence of the headmaster.


If dread is fear...

Fear is more pain than is the pain it fears!
     Sir Philip Sydney - 1554-1586

From a book of old poetry & hymns that Barb gave me as she was cleaning out her closet, I read this last week.


In 2013, what i want to be true of me!
  • To find ways to truly celebrate the events and people in my life that I love by being present in the moment and doing something enjoyable to mark the occasion.
  • To be honest with myself about events (or people) that cause me to dread, but rather than fearing the pain- to hold it in reverence.  Acknowledging it hurts and recognizing that my fear of it is more pain than the pain I fear.  
Lord, thank you for all that I have to celebrate-in life, in love & marriage, even in our losses.

Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.
Psalm 2:10-12 (in Context) Psalm 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness.
Psalm 89:15-17 (in Context) Psalm 89 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment