Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Study of DO NOT BE ARAID


I decided to study that and see if I can find all 365 of the occurrences of do not be afraid or something similar.    I've only begun to research on www.BibleGateway.com- using the New International and the New Living Translations- and I only used the phrase 'Do not be afraid".  So I've only found 70-80 times that phrase is spoken so far.  But it is amazing what God has already shown me!

First of all, it is interesting to see who is saying it 
and to whom they are saying it.


Sometimes it is the Lord, 
or angel of the Lord, 
or spirit of the Lord 

saying it to someone, 
or to a whole group of people.

Sometimes it is a person who heard it from an angel that says it to the next person.

The first few times I found Do not be afraid said, it was spoken first to Abram, 
then Isaac, then Jacob- a whole family being reminded "I am the God of your Father Abram, Do not be afraid."

And it was interesting to note that it was said to Hagar too- after Abram and Sarai rushed things and tried to manipulate how God's promise to them would be fulfilled. 

The Lord said it to Moses and Moses told the people- over and over and over again.
And Moses told Joshua- several times- especially when Moses was preparing Joshua to be the leader.

And then Joshua told the people
And then God told Joshua
and told Joshua
and told Joshua
and told Joshua
(I guess Josh was like me- forgetful)

David said it to Solomon

It was said by angels, by the spirit of the Lord, by the Lord
before battles
during battles
after battles

Do not be afraid was said to those who were afraid...
to go down to Eygpt
of him
of the nations
of enemies
of armies greater than yours
of them 
 (oh how many times are we afraid of 'them'- and we don't even know who 'them' is)
of dying
of failing
of terrors by night
of the arrow that flies in the day
of people's scorn, nor fear their insults
of their predictions
of those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul
of what you are about to suffer

Do not be afraid was most often said with a promise from the Lord as well....
I will protect you
I heard you
i am with you and will bless you
I will make your family great
I have handed him over to you
i have given you victory
I the Lord your God will fight for you.
the Lord your God is among you, and he is a great and awesome God.
I will personally go ahead of you.
I will neither fail you nor abandon you.
the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
You will not die
you will be successful if you...
the Lord is with you
Your God is coming!
for I am with you
I will gather you and your children...
The Lord who made you and helps you says...
I proclaimed my purposes for you long ago.
I will bring you home again from distant lands
Israel will return to a life of peace and quiet and no one will terrorize them.
I am with you
I will give you the victor's crown

and that's just some of them!

But there are also some commands that come with the words Do not be afraid.
Do the same to him as you did to...
Treat him just as you treated...
Go out to fight your enemies
Do not panic
Take all your fighting men and attach
Then you must...
Carefully obey the decrees and regulations...
Do not be discouraged
Listen to the Lord who created you
Get up and prepare for action
Go out and tell everything I tell you to say
Do not act like other nations
Go and tell my brothers to go...
See
Do not let your hearts be troubled
Keep on speaking, do not be silent
Stand trial before Caesar
Be faithful, even to the point of death
_______________

Hmmmm!  So where is he saying do not be afraid to me?  or to you?  
Who or What are we afraid of?
What promise is he making with it?
What command is he giving?

Seems like, this is a good time to stop to notice what we are hearing!
No matter what, his words to us are 
Do not be afraid, for I AM!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a blessing this post was to me! (Just now got around to reading it.) Thank you so much for sharing! May you and your family have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete