Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You're the bird!

Have you ever considered how great your impact is on the world?

I pondered that this morning as I looked out my office window. I saw gray skies and a soft breeze blowing the bare branches of the trees and the swing that hung there. I wondered how much impact I actually had on the world I was part of.
Just then a small robin with it's reddish-orange vest on fluttered by my window perching on a taller branch of my tree. I watched as it hopped from one branch to another till it was near the very end. And then I heard it! A crisp, clear melody that it began to sing. I wondered why it would sit so fraily on the edge where the blow of the wind made the most difference to the movement of the branch! Why not sit somewhere where you didn't feel that wind so much- somewhere that felt 'safe' somehow? And why did she wait with her song until she was at such a place.
That's when it struck me! Stepping out of my comfort zone, stepping out in faith is much like that bird on the end of the branch. Sometimes it's not till we step to that precarious perch where we feel the wind blowing in our face, at the edge of all we have formerly known as 'comfort', that we feel a song growing up in us. That is when we come to know that the 'roots' of that tree are founded not in us, but in Jesus himself. That's when we know that all He created us to be and do is being tested and proven and bringing glory to our God!
I'm not the wind in someone's life- though some people might think I try to paint sunshine or perhaps rain on their parade. I'm not the tree that gives roots and shade much of the year.

I'm the small robin- finding a place on the edge of the branch to sing a new song to Him! My song may only be in your life a brief time or for a life time. But I pray that God will use it, along with His wind and His roots to do his work to draw you to himself!
I'm ok being the bird! What kind of bird are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment