Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Learning to Walk---Again!

So...I recently made a $5 purchase which has given me a 10,000 step challenge. I'm having a difficult time 'stepping up'!

You see I bought this bright blue 'fits in the palm of my hand' tool that I strap on to my pocket every morning called a pedometer. It's purpose is to help me know how many steps I take in a day. The thin little piece of paper with the instructions on it claims that a person of good health should walk about 10,000 steps a day.  I know for many of you who walk - or run (God forbid!) that doesn't sound like a whole lot.  But that sounds like a lot to me.  For the last 5 years, I can't say I haven't cared about my health- but not enough to make the effort.
 
But now I think I'm up for it.  I strapped that little gadget on one morning last week when I felt particularly energetic and I thought to myself, "this is the first day of the rest of my life. I'm going to walk my way to health." 

I kept checking it every little bit and I was a bit surprised that I wasn't 'stepping' as quickly as I had thought I would.  I decided that I wouldn't look at it any more- I would just focus on walking.  So I put on my walking shoes and went to get the mail (our lane is about 1/4 of a mile).  I even walked a bit farther down the road so I could get a few more steps in. When I came back to get to the house to work, I would get up every now and then so I could get a few more steps.  I even walked the stairs all the way to the 3rd floor a couple of times to add steps.  Believe me, stairs should count for double points.

I was pretty confident that I had made a hefty dent in my 10,000 steps.  That night, I climbed the stairs to my third floor bedroom, kept the pedometer on until I just had to take it off to climb in bed.  I got ready to write down the big number of steps I made that day in my 'step log' and pushed the button.

2680 steps! 2680! That's it! And this was a good day for me!

So the next day I tried to top it. I did-  but I had to work at it.

Wednesday, I even danced all the way through our worship team practice so I could increase my steps alot over the day before.

5, 482!

Thursday I was whipped! I didn't feel good!  I couldn't get my meds to even out with my extra 'stress'! (That's a deal with Addison's disease.  You have to be aware of the stress- good or bad and be sure you have the right amount of cortisol in your system to deal with it. ) How am I ever going to get 10,000 steps?

I facebooked my fitness trainer/friend.  I only got 5,000 steps working really hard at it. How am I ever going to do 10.000?

"Wow, 2.2 miles...that is excellent! I like what you're doing, trying to accumulate steps throughout the day. You're right, 10,000 steps is a lot...it's about 5 miles. Just remember...every step is a good step! You're doing great!"

5 miles!  No wonder I can't get 10,000 steps, I can't walk 5 miles!
Every step is a GOOD step! Every step is a good step! Every step is a good step!
Hmmm!

I must admit, for a few days (after less than a week of trying) I already wanted to quit. And I did for a couple of days.  But I've been thinking hard about what she said.  I tell my clients things like this all the time. I know our attitudes and actions don't change overnight.  It takes one right thought or action at a time.  Just like it takes the discipline to walk another day- one more step than the day before.

My high school class motto was "a thousand mile journey begins with a single step".  I guess a 10,000 step journey does too!

So ... I'm walking again.  How about you?  Will you join me!  I could sure use some walking buddies- even if it's just over the internet.  Tonight, I'm up to four thousand, nine hundred and sixty- six!  I figure by the time I let the dog out, shut off all the lights and make the trek upstairs- I'll hit 5,000!

Tomorrow, I'll aim for 5,001!
 
Are you with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment