Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Longing for HOME

My thoughts during the advent season- throughout Christmas and here this first few days of the New Year have been focused on HOME!

My girls had been overseas all semester- I was so looking forward to them coming home! Yet they felt at home in the countries in which they lived. They were looking forward to being home. It felt so good to be home. But they missed their homes and the new family they had met there.

I cleaned our home before the girls came, Brie decorated our home after she came for Christmas. We enjoyed our home while all of us were in it- even though it was seldom that we were all here.

Then we began to look forward to going home to be with our extended families- home where our parents live and we do not- and have not for longer than we did live there as children. But it is still home! Even to our girls!

And then there was one that was not home, because she is HOME! with Him in Heaven! And it makes me long for HOME! in an intense way. and think of home as we see the changes in our parents as they grow closer to going home and yet it was a beautiful, 30 year old mother- the friend of my brother's family that went HOME! this Christmas- just after they saved the little boy she was carrying- and he is struggling to live now so that he can go home with his father and two big sisters that are grieving.

And now we are once again cleaning up home , putting away the Christmas decorations, so we can pack up the girls things so they can move to their school homes!

And I have quit my 'job' so that I can work from home and help Rennie in his business too!

Home- defined by Webster
  • a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family or household.
  • a place in which one's domestic affections are centered.
  • an instituition for the aged or sick- nursing home
  • any place of residence or refuge: a heavenly home
  • a person's native place or own country
  • a principal base of operations or activities
There is another meaning for the word home as an adverb. I means 'deep, to the heart" ans in the sentence 'the truth struck home'!
I realized that there are many ways to experience home, but whether we are all together in one place we have lived in- or all apart across the globe- or the heavens, we can all be "at home" together. It's living in the adverb- the 'deep, to the heart place' of home that allows us to continue to share, and love, and care for each other. It becomes, not a place, but a person that holds us and binds us together- the person of Jesus Christ.
I rest there! I trust all of you dear ones that I love to his care and protection. I pray you find rest, refuge, shelter, care, comfort there. I pray you are nutured and sense that you belong at home- in his arms.
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young- a place near your altar, LORD Almighty, my King and my God. Ps 84:3

No comments:

Post a Comment